Terms and Conditions
FOR CICADA WEBSITE AND FACEBOOK PAGES
The CICADA AUSTRALIA Inc website is operated for the purpose of providing peer support and information for people with cochlear or auditory implants and interested persons living in Australia.
The website is moderated by implant recipients and is for general information only. It is not intended as a substitute for independent professional advice. Nothing contained in the website is intended to be used as individual medical advice or to diagnose or manage hearing loss.
CICADA AUSTRALIA Inc does not accept any liability for any injury, loss or damage incurred by use of or reliance on the information.
CICADA AUSTRALIA Inc. is a source of information for recipients of cochlear and auditory implants, including their friends and family and interested professionals. We arrange social gatherings which provide social support and friendship to all members through mutual trust and respect where members can share information and personal experiences relating to their hearing or hearing devices.
People are in different phases of their journey so please be patient and kind with other users and respect other individuals’ opinions, statements, ideas, and shared story or experiences, even when they may be quite different to your own.
We encourage members to arrange “meet ups” with other recipients in their local region for social activities and in this respect you must consider your personal safety first and do not attend a meet up alone or without advising someone of your intentions.
We do not offer Professional or Medical advice. If you have specific questions concerning your health or medical status, please consult your personal Clinic or Doctor.
All members MUST respect fellow members and the Group Administration/Moderators.
Privacy and Security: See Privacy Statement
Some people also have a professional role within the sector and their knowledge and expertise is valued. However, we request that people who also work within the sector:
- Identify yourself as a professional and where you work each time you communicate to the group. We have new members joining who will not be aware who the professionals are.
- Please be clear about what is your personal experience and what is your professional experience when posting to the group.
- You may not promote the service, organisation or device manufacturer you work for. You can provide information that can assist people to ask the right questions and know what is available. Information should be relevant and evidence-based when posting in your professional capacity.
- Please be respectful of other service providers, manufacturers and organisations.
- You may not use the group as a contact point for any research. Please contact CICADA AUSTRALIA Inc. if you wish to post information about your research to the group.
Some behaviours are inappropriate and will not be tolerated in the CICADA AUSTRALIA Inc. online groups or social gatherings. Breach of any of the points below will result in your being warned and/or removed from the group without further notice.
- We do not allow discussions that are intolerant of the choices that other people make or provoke intolerance. The groups are to support and inform. If it is believed that the end result of a discussion will lead to intolerant and inflammatory comments, the post will be deleted.
- This is a not-for-profit website and you may not sell or advertise anything on the group page or message members to sell or advertise any product or service, including fundraising activities for other not-for-profit organisations.
- You must not post any statement which you know is false, inaccurate, misleading, defamatory, libellous, or in violation of any law.
- You must not post any statement, ask questions or use language which may be construed as offensive, harassing, obscene, pornographic, profane, threatening, abusive or invasive of a person's privacy. This includes no swear words or abbreviated swear words.
- You must not post any statement that may be construed as discriminatory on the basis of race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion or any other form of illegal discrimination. If you believe someone else is behaving or posting inappropriately, please email CICADA AUSTRALIA Inc. and the behaviour will be addressed.
- Topics that are unrelated to hearing loss are prohibited. Strong political or religious sentiments are prohibited. If it is believed that the end result of a discussion will be political or religious (with no relation to people with hearing loss), the post will be removed.
- If you believe someone else is behaving or posting inappropriately, please report the post to CICADA AUSTRALIA Inc. and the behaviour will be addressed. Notification is strongly encouraged. In no case should a user respond to a situation personally, thereby aggravating the situation further. Responding to a violation in an inflammatory manner is a violation in itself and will result in appropriate action.
- If a member receives private messages from group members that can be construed as abusive, harassing or threatening, the Moderators should be notified and evidence of inappropriate message provided. Members who send these messages will be contacted and their membership of the group reviewed. Members sending private messages to other group members that are deemed abusive, harassing or threatening, will be removed from the group.
- Members posting messages on behalf of banned members will be removed from the group.
- Moderators and the administrator have the final say on anything. If you have a problem, you may make a complaint to them directly. Please do not post it in the group as it will be removed.
- If you ever need clarification on any part of our Terms and Conditions or have a question, suggestion, feedback, or a problem with the group, please feel free to contact a moderator directly to ensure that it receives the proper attention. Please do not post it in the group as it will be removed.
If you breach the rules or engage in ‘Inappropriate Behaviour’ you will be warned and/or removed from the group without further notice.
For other lesser breaches of the rules, a moderator will contact you and when he/she is satisfied you understand what the problem was and will not intentionally breach the rules again, you will be able to return to the group. If you breach the rules again, you may be removed from the group.
The decision to block, ban and remove posts ultimately lies with CICADA AUSTRALIA Inc.
If you have any queries, concerns or require further information relating to these Terms and Conditions, you are invited to email CICADA AUSTRALIA Inc
Disclaimer: The information contained on this website is not intended as a substitute for independent professional advice.
Last Updated: 11th April 2023